Saint Louis University ensures that students at SLU-Madrid are prepared to succeed in their education by offering preparatory courses in English, mathematics and science.
This program provides preparation for the TOEFL exam and a foundation for a U.S. undergraduate degree program.
It is the most intensive and complete academic English and TOEFL preparation course in Madrid.
SLU-Madrid’s Science and Engineering Preparation Year is designed for students who are not yet prepared to enter the engineering degree program. You’ll take courses in mathematics, physics, computer science and English as Second Language, developing the foundation and skills necessary to pursue engineering. Students are allowed to stay a maximum of one year, or two semesters, in this preparatory program.
This program will introduce you to scientific concepts and engineering processes across a range of disciplines. You’ll carry out basic experiments in physics while simultaneously developing the communication and computer skills to effectively retrieve information, write reports and make presentations. ESL classes will improve your English writing, speaking and reading comprehension.
To be admitted in the Science and Engineering Preparation Year, you must:
- Be a prospective engineering student
- Earn a mathematics placement test score of College Algebra (MATH 1205) or similar
- Have a TOEFL PBT score of 480 to 547 points, or equivalent
You will be considered eligible for admission into an engineering program when you have satisfactorily completed the following minimum requirements in the Pre-Engineering Program:
- Obtained a grade of “C-” or higher in MATH 1400 Pre-Calculus
- Obtained a grade of “C-” or higher in CSCI 1060 Scientific Programming
- Obtained a grade of “C-” or higher in PHYS 1330/1340 General Physics II/Lab
- Obtained a score in the TOEFL test and TWE of 550 and 4.0 or equivalent, respectively
Student assessment is carried out through examinations, assessment tests and evaluation of the work done in laboratories, workshops and projects.
For general inquiries about the Pre-Engineering Program, contact Taieb Gasmi, Ph.D. at +34 91 554 58 58, ext. 217, or firstname.lastname@example.org.